08 March 2011

Absolutely Orange: Part 2

First of all, I would like to thank all of you for your feedback! I would like to do another post about nails soon because nude nails are also very trendy for spring. As you read below about sporting a bright orange pucker, it makes sense that you might want to tone down your nails a little. I do have an awesome nude in my collection already, but I have some exciting news! Tomorrow I will be attending the International Beauty Show (IBS) in NYC!! I am looking forward to attending a few hair shows, learning as much as possible, and of course, shopping! I have a feeling I'm going to be splurging on nail polish, so I'll be sure to share my haul with you! (If you like hauls you're in luck, because the countdown to the International Make-up Artists Trade Show has begun!)

As you read in my last post, orange is a flourishing color for spring. The best way to wear orange this season is as a lip color. I understand this is pretty daring and not everyone will want to put such a bright color on their lips, which is why I offered my favorite orange nails. However if you think you're up to, more power to you! The best part about wearing orange lipstick is that it's easily buildable, so you can choose your level of comfort with the not-so-shy color. If you have a hard time wearing lipstick due to your lips being dry, or just want some tips on how to take care of your lips, here is some help...

1. Exfoliate - This is important because you need to remove the dead skin from your lips. This will help prevent your lipstick from accumulating on your dead skin. If you are looking to purchase a product, I use BonBon Lip Scrub made by Lush. I just checked out their website and they don't carry that kind anymore, but they do have a couple others available. I use this twice a day and it is definitely gentle enough for that. If you don't want to buy a lip scrub, there are plenty of home made ways to exfoliate. You can use a mixture of olive oil and sugar, rub gently on your lips in a circular motion, and then wipe off with a damp washcloth. If you don't like the idea of olive oil on your lips, you can use a small amount of honey and sugar, and apply it the same way. When I'm in a hurry, I sometimes use my toothbrush after I brush my teeth so my lips are moistened.
2. Moisturize - This is beyond important, especially if you exfoliate often! Your lips have thin skin and therefore dry out a lot quicker than your face. They are also a lot more sensitive, so make sure you use something with a SPF, especially if you are outdoors a lot. As soon as you wipe off the exfoliant, use some sort of lip balm. I like to use Rosebud Salve, eos (available at CVS and Riteaid), and Vitamin E. I use these after exfoliating, and I apply them as I feel necessary throughout the day. Honey is also a great moisturizer. You can apply some to your lips for a few minutes, and then wipe off with a damp washcloth.. no one will judge you if you can't resist a taste.
3. Hydrate - Water, water, water. This is the most important of all beauty tips. Nothing will keep your skin, lips, nails, and mood looking better then making sure to stay hydrated. Moisture will help eliminate dry skin and lips, which eliminates wrinkles. If that isn't a good enough reason to drink more water, I don't know what is! You can also take a Vitamin E supplement to help if you don't think you are getting enough water.


Now for the fun stuff.. Orange lips!

Neon Orange by MAC

In this picture I used Vitamin E as a lip balm base, and then applied three coats of Neon Orange, blotting my lips between each layer. Typically, I like to wear Too Faced Lip Insurance on my lips before applying lip gloss, but it makes my lipstick dry and cakey so I don't like to pair the two. Does anyone have any lip tips for how to make your lip stick stay put?

Neon Orange with gloss
Here is a more toned down version of the above color. I used the same Neon Orange lipstick by MAC, and blotted it so my lips were just stained. I then used an e.l.f. Hypershine Gloss on top to make the color less matte. I like this downplayed look because it's still fun, trendy, and makes a statement without being too overpowering. However, I can't wait to rock the full fledged orange! (I already took a test drive at school and got good feedback!) Testing new colors out with close friends can we a good confidence boost when experimenting with new trendy colors.

If you would like to see some more orange lip picks, please let me know. Do you have an orange lip color that you're dying to show off this spring? Please comment and let me know. I love to hear your feedback! Make sure to come back soon to see my IBS haul, I can't wait to share!

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment